The Parish Church at Union Street was the former St. Helen of Sweden Church. It was formed in 1926 to serve the growing Catholic community on the eastern edge of Schenectady. The original parish boundaries reached from Consaul Road to the Mohawk River and from McClellan Street to the eastern border of Niskayuna. The original church was a Sears & Roebuck prefabricated structure erected at the corner of Union Street and Woodland Avenue, the present site of Trust-Co Bank. The first Rectory was established at 1955 Eastern Parkway. Rev. Joseph Dunney was appointed the first Pastor and served in that position until 1934.
An interesting fact about St. Helen's is that the stained glass windows portray the "wrong" St. Helen. St. Helen's was named after St. Helen of Sweden. The St. Helen that is depicted in the window is St. Helen, mother of Constantine and founder of the true cross.
- 1934 - 45: Msgr. John J. Finn was Pastor during these difficult depression and World War II years.
- 1945 - 57: Rev. William Casey served as Pastor. With an increase in the number of parishioners following the war, the original church was no longer large enough to accommodate all parishioners. Property owned by Rindfleisch Cleaners on upper Union Street was purchased. Construction of the present church began in 1953 and was completed one year later with the dedication in 1954.
- The original cleaning plant was renovated and converted into St. Helen's School in 1955. By 1960 the school had a full Kindergarten-Grade 8 program staffed by the Sisters of the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
- 1957 - 69: Msgr. Edward Hogan was our Pastor. By 1959 the construction of the convent and rectory were completed.
- 1969 - 74: Rev. Michael McGarahan served as Pastor. Major efforts included reducing the parish construction debt and the institution of the reforms of the Second Vatican Council.
- 1974 - 85: Rev. Robert F. Willi, as Pastor, oversaw the beginning of new liturgical practices and Parish programs, such as: Pastoral Care, Religious Education, and Liturgical and Eucharistic Ministers.
- 1986 - 95: Rev. Thomas J. Hayes, as Pastor, coordinated several large maintenance projects and the overall renovation of the church building which included turning the axis of the sanctuary. On October 3, 1991 we rededicated our church with a three-weekend celebration highlighted by Bishop Howard Hubbard's celebration of the Eucharist.
- 1995 - 2007: Rev. James J. Kane, Pastor, implemented plans to relieve crowding in teaching space allotted for Religious Education classes for the growing Youth Ministry program. Property at 1805 Union Street was purchased and the new rectory was built. The former rectory/ office building was converted into teaching and administration space for the Youth Ministry and Parish offices. Plans for sharing programs and clergy were developed with St. Helen's cluster parish, Our Lady of Fatima.
- 2007 to Present: Fr. Robert Longobucco